Re: Thinking of installing myself...

"Optional" <fillingtheform@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0fu132d54g9kcaucg2l335h7cedgoug6i8@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Mark M." <traguspiercing@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >An alarm system  requires a certain
> >knowledge of building construction, the electrical codes, policies of the
> >local AHJ, and some fairly specialized skills to really do right.
>
> What do the policies of the local AHJ have to do with anything?
> Residential alarm installations are not inspected in any jurisdiction
> I know of.
>
> I am familiar with building construction and the electrical codes.
>
> Can you elaborate on the specialized skills required?

All systems are permitted, inspected and user registrations applied for in
most all major muncipalities here in Florida. In serveral cities, you cannot
get a user permit without a building permit and approved inspection. As far
as specialized skills, that is left open to interpetation. What comes easily
to some (with or without experience) is very troublesome to others. Fishing
for wires in behind walls for instance. Drilling blind with 48" to 72" drill
bits for instance. Drywall patching and texturing without making it look
like a patch for instance, removing molding without it turning into
toothpicks for instance, mounting a device so that when closing the nearest
door it doesn't fall off the wall for instance, drilling a window or door
wall and not have the glass crack or literally shatter for instance, not
hitting electric wires in behind walls when your drilling for instance,
water (plumbing pipes) are fun too, not drilling up through the roof when
drilling into the attic for instance, knowing how to do attic work without
disturbing installation, a/c ducts, or most commonly, putting your foot
through the ceiling for instance, making penetrations through fire walls,
fire stops, draft stops, demizing walls, adding proper sleeving, proper fire
barrier caulking for instance, proper locations for devices and proper
devices for locations for instance, proper classification of wire for
certain applications for instance and I am not refering to guage, and we
haven't even tried to make it work yet. Special skills are not just hand eye
coordination, turning of a screwdriver, etc. but also the knowledge that is
accummulated over a long period of time. Reading a book or taking some
instructions over the phone is a minimum. You won't know the full magnitude
until you dive into it.