Re: Thinking of installing myself...

Talk to the people here (except Bass) to find a good reputable company. An
alarm system is not really a DIY project. Period. It requires a certain
knowledge of building construction, the electrical codes, policies of the
local AHJ, and some fairly specialized skills to really do right. Learning
as you go, despite what Bass has to say, is not really the way to go. Now I
will admit that I am no longer in the field as a service or installation
technician (1980 to 2000, Sylvesters Security Alarms, Santa Maria CA, Now
part of HSM). The company that I am now employed with sells equipment to
dealers, to be installed. Don't just get your estimate from ADT, (Although
ADT is a good place to start) also get a few quotes and evaluations from
some of the local dealers. As far as a site to start with, I would start
with the BBB and find out who has the most satisfactory record resolving
service and installation issues. There are good companies out there and then
there are hacks. You have to decide who you trust, and who can give you the
most responsive service. Watch out for those trying to sell you a bill of
goods. There is a difference between having a security system and having an
"alarm". If you are also wiring your house for fire, this is a life safety
issue and should always be left to a professional. Wireless is just not a
good choice for a fire detection system. A competent installer will put in a
good system, with a minimum of damage to your residence/business. Also, just
as a side note, a DIY system may not reduce your homeowners insurance rates
as much (if at all) as a professional installation would. There are a
million good reasons for a professional install, and just as many reasons to
not do a DIY job. If you plan on being monitered, also take the central
station into consideration, and research the resonsiveness, equipment used,
training of operators into account. Does the installation company also sell
monitoring? Do they own their own central or do they contract out to a
national? Is the central station UL listed? Is the installation company
licensed, are the installers and service techs bonded? Are the installers
factory trained? Does the company have a current and valid contractors
license? All things to consider when choosing a company to handle your
security.

To be honest, I can't really recommend a company, or a particular brand of
equipment. Working for a manufacturer of security equipment, I have to not
"play favorites" to any particular dealer, nor any particular brand of
equipment. Anything I post could have the potential for being construed as
coming from the company and not from me in particular, and I am not here to
push our equipment, though I am rather fond of it.

Note to Bass: I have you kill filtered, so don't bother to respond to this.
You have Detection Systems equipment listed for sale on your web site. You
should at least let your customers know that the DS line of panels are
obsolete and there is very little in the way of replacement equipment should
something break. The DS line of motion sensors have been rebranded, or just
plain phased out. If you are going to sell obsolete equipment to people,
tell them.

--
A Crowded Elevator Smells Different to a Midget