Re: Thinking of installing myself...

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qg8u22116a7feigui1j2r5upgff6o0cm8j@xxxxxxxxxx
> Pardon me.  I missed the comment about battery load calcs.  In the 24
> years I
> installed professionally, I did hundreds of my own installations and
> countless
> more takeovers.
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass
>
> Bass Burglar Alarms

You did not do to good with this battery story

Battery Diode Harness StoryFrom: alarmsrvcs@xxxxxxx (Group Moderator)
Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms
Subject: REPOST: Battery Diode Story - GOOFY BASS WRONG AGAIN
Date: 22 May 2002 07:13:17 GMT

REPOSTED FOR THOSE WHO REQUESTED IT:
This is the guy ROBERT L. (Lunatic) Goofy Bass that his Clones think he is
so
knowledgeable about alarms.

Battery Diode Story

Bass Was Totally Wrong - This was taken right from www.google.com
Subject: Re: Connecting more batteries
Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms
Date: 2002-04-08 07:38:27 PST

Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:<D7Sr8.21978$l7.2454793@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... > > > >

I think you've got this one wrong, friend. Napco provided a Battery Diode >

> Harness for use on their MA-3000 panels for years. I've used them to wire
>  > >
> > as many as five 7-Amp Hour batteries in parallel on one of those panels
when > > > > I installed their add-on power supply. In fact, it's still
listed
on the > > > > ADI server as a valid part, although AFAIK Napco has stopped
producing them. > > > > > > > > If you make current flow in the wrong
direction
on a battery charging > > > > circuit you'll have a lot more than a dead
battery to worry about. To test > > > > your theory take a discharged
battery
and connect its terminals to another, > > > > fully charged battery with the
terminals reversed (so you can get current to > > > > "flow back into the
dead
battery"). All kidding aside, don't really try > > > > this. The results can
include fire and explosion, depending on the type of > > > > battery and its
condition. > > > > > > > > BTW, the charging circuits on many alarms are
actually 13.8VDC -- not 12 > > > > Volts. > > > > > > > > Regards, > > > >
Robert L Bass > > > > > > > > =============================> > > > > Bass
Electronics > > > > The Online DIY Alarm Store > > > >
http://www.Bass-Home.com
 Sales & Tech Support > > > > 941-925-9747 Fax > > > >
robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx >
> > > =============================>

This is the CORRECT answer
Again taken from www.google.com

OLEG" <OLEGSECUR@xxxxxxx> wrote in message > >
news:78df7100.0204071036.71857181@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > > > Sorry, Robert,
but it looks like you have this one wrong on two counts > > > and Nomen
Nescio
is right on the money. Like you, I have also done > > > countless
multiple-battery MA3000 commercial fire and burg installs > > > over the
years.
> > > burg applications where you do not quite need the power of the > > >
optional PS3000 power supply, but do need to supervise for AC > > >
brownout.
This module connects the PS3000 jack to the AUX relay, which > > > is
triggered
upon brownout. > > > > > > Secondly, the Dual Battery Harness, to which I
believe you were > > > referring in your post, does not have a diode in it
at
all, it simply > > > parallels the battery leads to allow the connection of
2
or more > > > batteries to the MA3000, or any other panel. > > > > > > I do
not
think UL would require a diode in the battery harness that > > > would waste
valuable 0.7 VDC in a low battery condition just to > > > protect against
the
installer reversing the battery leads > > > accidentally. There is already a
thermal circuit breaker on the board > > > for this type of protection. > >

> > Also, as Nomen states, if you do not have battery current flowing in > >
> >  >
two directions, you will soon have a very dead battery. > > > > > > Best
Regards, Oleg

HERE NORMAN PROVES GOOFY ASS WRONG ALSO

Nomen Nescio wrote: > > > > > > > > > > Better not use a diode to isolate
the
two batteries. Remember, current has > > > > > to flow both directions on a
battery lead: into the battery when it's > > > > > charging, and out of the
battery when it's discharging. So if you orient > > > > > the anode towards
the
charging terminal and the cathode towards the > > > > > battery, the battery
will charge but will not be able to deliver power to > > > > > the system
when
the AC is off. If you orient the diode the other > > > > > direction, the
battery will not charge. > > > > > > > > > > Diodes also have a 0.6 volt
drop
across them, so if you charge a battery > > > > > through a diode, you are
not
getting the full charging voltage. > > > > > > > > > > Use a fuse or circuit
breaker instead, preferably the harness provided by > > > > > the panel
manufacturer.

SO those who want to take Goofy Bass's advise because you think he knows
every
thing -THINK TWICE.

 Mike, Sr.
Alarm Services Inc.(NJ)
Group Moderator
http://www.AlarmServicesInc.Com

Visit The Goofy Bass Website
http://www.goofysplace.com/

begin 666 back_ani.gif
M1TE&.#EA& `8`/P`,0```/___[N[NP```$1$1(B(B.[N[LS,S'=W=ZJJJIF9
M`"P`````& `8```%PF @CJ21B(D@D&P;' 4<K(5K*XIH(+3-&K&2(5#SB6!#
M%\(84)Q\2!?PP Q,6XMD-9!E*0I%HP`1)@F*A#0UK5[YBH/X*BYWV^#R`'V@
M,N+Y>G1];R*",RH"!G8N?XLBCBP/*FD,!8B(98];1@.;/@.*6@(.1XJDHR.H
M`PL(# 8&#0@xxxx+!0RLK@8$" 0*H $$9P\!#@S!)P3)`@H+`@D,G<%G<-/6