Re: Thinking of installing myself...

> Is this something I can do myself?  I'm a amateur with residential wiring
> (done some but not a ton), but completely in the dark on home security
> systems.

You can DIY if you don't mind spending a little time learning about the various
options and how/where to use them.  It's not rocket science.  The wiring is 2
and 4-conductor stuff.  Programming the system can be a mild pain but I know
thousands (quite literally) of DIYers who have done it.

> Are there any sites out there that could give me some basic information and
> point me in the right direction??

I own one of the largest alarm stores on the web catering to DIY homeowners and
businesses.  I have information on most of the major brands of alarms which
professional installers use.  I've been in the business for over 29 years and am
willing to spend as time explaining what to use, how to install it and how to
configure the system.

Note:  You'll find some folks who install for a living insist that no one but
them (of course) can possibly install a proper alarm.  The average education
level of alarm installers is about half-way through the 11th grade.  There's
nothing particularly complicated to the job if you stick to basic protection --
magnetic door & window sensors, "dual tech" motion detectors, perhaps a few
glass break detectors if the location is right for them, etc.

You can also install smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detectors if those are a
concern.  There are protocols to follow when installing fire protection but the
ones that apply to most single family residential alarms are easily learned in a
few minutes.

Browse my website and/or give me a call if you'd like to discuss your plans.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.