Re: Thinking of installing myself...

You make some very valid points, Mike.  There is some "science" involved in
installing alarm systems.  My wife was home the day the crew arrived to
install ours.  She was not only impressed with the efficient manner in which
the cable was routed to the different protection points, she was amazed at
how they managed to get it into places we both thought would be next to
impossible.  Not only that, they were able to identify some incorrectly
wired outlets that the previous homeowner had had installed and which our
inspector missed.

We're very impressed by the level of professionalism demonstrated by the
company and I have no regrets.  The extra expense incurred by hiring a
professional company was well worth it.  I had been contemplating doing it
myself as my company has accounts with all the major suppliers, but decided
against it.  I don't enjoy crawling around in attics as I've had to on
occasion in my job.

I'm not certain where Mr. Bass gets his information regarding the "average
educational level" of individuals in the alarm profession, but it's been my
experience that most people you meet these days have Grade 12 or better.
I've sat in on many job interviews and helped in short-listing applicants.

I visited Mr. Bass' website for the first time this morning to see what it's
like.  I'm running Windows 98SE on my home computer and had to fight through
seven different pop-up windows just to view the home page.  They all had to
do with a program called WinFixer which I wasn't interested in installing.
It was annoying to the point that I didn't bother clicking on any of the
menu items because I just didn't want to go through all that again.

Of even greater concern is the possibility of having to return items that
are either not working or require warranty service.  Find a local dealer and
save yourself the headache of having to keep all the boxes and packing
materials, the extra steps and expense involved in shipping something back
for refund or credit, and the possibility that the warranty may not be
honoured because the equipment wasn't installed by a qualified individual.
I remember what I had to go through when I purchased a telephone online that
had a defective nine button.  I shudder to think how long someone would have
to be without an alarm system if the common control went on the fritz, or if
the keypad stopped working.  The company we use has a four hour response
time guarantee, and all their vans carry replacement parts.

Regards,

Frank