Re: It's FISA! Not whatever....

Karl Magnus wrote:
> Getting *legitimate* wiretaps against *legitimate* suspected
> terrorists is the easiest thing in the world to get.
>
> The NISA Court okays 99% of all requests, including those
> which are requested after the fact.
>
> If the NISA Court happens across a wiretap that cannot justify
> a warrant, the only consequence is that the information gained
> cannot be used in a court of law.
>
> Well, fuck, "courts of law."  "This is war!" right?
>
> George WMD Bush isn't gonna dilly-dally around with
> "legalisms" if it means "protecting the United States from
> terrorism," is he?!

If he gave a rat's jiminex about our national security perhaps.

> Under the cover of "National Security" and "the war against
> 'Terrorism'" the Shrub Administration obviously is wiretapping
> political opponents.

One sage politician referred to the Bush administration as "the worst
administration since Caligula."  :^)

> Any *legitimate* wiretaps would get an automatic okay.

That would be what, 0.0003% of all the wiretaps that the Shrub has authorized?

> Remember that seemingly goofy episode in Texas a while back?
>
> Tom DeLay orchestrated a massive gerrymandering scheme to re-draw
> congressional districts but Texas Democrats took it on the lam to prevent a
> quorum in the legislature.  Some when to Albuquerque, some went to
> Oklahoma.
>
> How were there whereabouts found?
>
> The Republicans used the "P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act" to track them down.

Typical Shrub dirty trick.  Ram a law through congress on the pretext of
protecting the country, only to use it to protect Republican interests.

> Lord knows, there are plenty of right-wing Republicans who
> can rationalize that anyone who doesn't fall in lockstep behind
> the neo-con agenda must some way, somehow, be considered
> a "terrorist,"...

There are several such folks who post in ASA all the time.

> and I'm perfectly willing to let someone post here and now
> the legal justification of imposing the "P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act" to
> track down a handful of absentee state legislators:

That one's easy.  Bush was *terrified* that he would lose the opportunity to
steal the voting rights of Texas Democrats.

> ...the George WMD Bush Administration has to hide its
> motives.
>
> Because they're illegal as hell, as unconstitutional as could
> ever be imagined, and as sleazy as the Commander in Thief.

And you are 100% correct.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.