Re: Laptop Serial Adaptor

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 06:40:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
<usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Ok.. we had a conversation on here the other day about the fact that most
>new laptops don't have serial ports.  There are USB serial adaptors (I have
>one) but I hear they don't work with all software.  I currently use a couple
>old Toshiba laptops I got from usedlaptops.com several years ago that do
>have serial ports, but I got to thinking about options.
>
>Somebody mentioned that there are PCMCIA to serial cards so I checked one of
>my vendors and found this one.
>http://www.gocna.com/contents/media/87-513t.jpg
>
>Looks like just the ticket except its relatively expensive at $205.00
>
>Any others out there that might be a little more economical and work well.
>I would really like to start using newer laptops for stuff so that I can
>integrate better laptops with more services in the field.

You might check with the people at the below site. They make some
USB to serial equipment which works very well. It has been my
experience that they are very responsive to questions. They may
have single USB serial adapter that will work with the desired
equipment. If the programming software is old and requires
hardware bit banging of the DTR/RTS lines and such, then the
PCMCIA card may be the only way to go.

http://www.ionetworks.com/index.jsp