Re: Thinking of installing myself...

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:27:35 -0400, JoeRaisin <joeraisin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Frank Olson wrote:
> > Robert L Bass wrote:
> >
>>> The problem for the consumer is that the dealer may or
>>> may not be very talented.  His crew might be well-trained
>>> or they might be hacks picked up at the unemployment
>>> line.
>
> I take a bit of umbrage at that comment as well...

Umbrage is free.  Take all you want.

> In Michigan we only need a state license to install fire
> alarms but it is our company policy to always have a
> licensed individual at least check on a site wether it is
> a fire system or not.

That's good.  Can every alarm company in Michigan say the same?  If not, how can
the client know that the salesman in his living room represents a good company
like yours or a fly-by-night, incompetent con artist like Fowler?

> Unlicensed techs are only turned loose after they prove
> themselves competent...

By your firm, ok.  What about all the rest?  Like I said above (just north of
the umbrage part) some are great and some are well, Fowler.

> This usually takes at least four to six months.  By that time
> they are either capable of doing the job or they don't work
> for us anymore.

That's great.  The problem is the guys you fire for incompetence go right down
the street to work for dolts like Fowler, Sabodish and others of the same ilk
who couldn't care less about quality.

> We also undergo a background check prior to hiring on.

The problem with that is it only detects convictions.  It won't reveal much at
all about whether he's honest.  In all the years I ran my own alarm company I
fired only three people -- two for being lazy and one for dishonesty.  The one
was a competent installer but when he accidentally broke an inexpensive item in
a customer's basement, instead of telling me and the customer about it he tried
to hide it.  When I found out about it I had to let him go.  That guy had no
criminal record -- not even a traffic ticket.  But he was not trustworthy.

OTOH, I was entrusted with the security of over a thousand homes and businesses.
In my office was a key safe containing keys to hundreds of clients' premises.  I
never even so much as considered taking anything or doing anything dishonest.
Yet I'd fail your test because of a 30-year-old assault conviction.  So what
does the background check really tell you?

> We do a lot of work in high end (multi-million dollar) 'vacation'
> homes so we take pride in our installations and any "hacks"
> that manage to make it through the job interview and
> background check don't last very long in the field.  When your
> installers are drilling holes in doors and windows custom made
> out of mahogany (usually from down your way, Robert)...

Mahogany windows?  Not from here I think.  Perhaps the Philippines?

> you ensure that those installers know what the hell they are doing.

You do and I always did.  Please don't take my comments about a portion of the
industry as being intended toward companies like yours.  I think I was clear
that there are both good and bad installers.  The problem is the customer can't
often tell which he's going to get.

> If the consumer takes a few minutes to check on the local
> companys (a primate with a telphone could do it - its not
> rocket science) he/she can find a reputable firm that will
> provide quality equipment and installation at a reasonable
> price.

I disagree.  Though there are plenty of good, competent firms offering alarm
services, the consumer has a very hard time distinguishing them from the hacks.
Just look at the number of systems the so-called "authorized dealers" are
slopping in every day.  Add to that the volume that hundreds of garbage firms
like Milford sell and you have a tidal wave of junk alarm work.  If it were easy
for consumers to spot the gems and the turds Fowler, Sabodish and people like
them would be out of business in no time.

> Maybe a monkey with a screwdriver 'could' install a system
> but I bet he pops a hole in the vapor barrier fishing down
> an insulated wall....

That depends on the kind of instruction he gets more than anything else.  If the
online store provides good support the DIYer stands a very good chance of having
an excellent system.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.