Re: Thinking of installing myself...

>>We do a lot of work in high end (multi-million dollar) 'vacation'
>>homes so we take pride in our installations and any "hacks"
>>that manage to make it through the job interview and
>>background check don't last very long in the field.  When your
>>installers are drilling holes in doors and windows custom made
>>out of mahogany (usually from down your way, Robert)...
>

> Mahogany windows?  Not from here I think.  Perhaps the Philippines?

Not the actual windows... just the mahogany.

Often the windows are hand made in England (with ropes and weights no
less) but the bragging rights are always becasue they are made from
"Brazillian Mahogany"

>>If the consumer takes a few minutes to check on the local
>>companys (a primate with a telphone could do it - its not
>>rocket science) he/she can find a reputable firm that will
>>provide quality equipment and installation at a reasonable
>>price.
>

> I disagree.  Though there are plenty of good, competent firms offering alarm
> services, the consumer has a very hard time distinguishing them from the hacks.
> Just look at the number of systems the so-called "authorized dealers" are
> slopping in every day.  Add to that the volume that hundreds of garbage firms
> like Milford sell and you have a tidal wave of junk alarm work.  If it were easy
> for consumers to spot the gems and the turds Fowler, Sabodish and people like
> them would be out of business in no time.

Checking references doing a tiny bit of research on a company you are
thinking of doing business with is not hard... just a bit inconvenient.
  Which is enough for most folks to skip it - myself included.

Just because a lot of consumers don't do smething doesn't mean its not easy.