Re: Napco P3200 & DST

Tim Fischer wrote:
> Jim, thanks for your comments.  I'm well aware of the fireworks that have
> been part of this newsgroup for the past bazillion years...
>
> I've ordered products from Mr. Bass in the past and had great service.  I've
> also spoken to him on the phone in the past regarding installation
> questions -- again great service.

You're one on the "plus" side then.  There are a good deal more
individuals that have posted here with real "horror stories" to tell
about his "great service".

> I know a lot of folks in the alarm business would like to keep people like
> me from installing my own systems.

What a crock!!  We could care less what you do in your own home.  Build
yourself a boat in your living room if you want.  Or an airplane.  I
doubt the Coast Guard or the FAA are going to care either way.  Just
make sure that when it comes time to "test" the result you meet all the
required certification standards.  The same thing applies to your alarm.
  There's no sense in burning your house down around your ears or
winding up with so many false alarms you're afraid to arm your system
just so you could save a few bucks.

> But hey -- I'm a software engineer by
> trade, and if you want to buy your own compilers and development tools,
> there's nothing from keeping you guys from writing your own software --
> including competing with the software I write.  I don't understand why some
> fields feel their products and information should be exclusive to those "in
> the club"...

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper into the root cause of the
problem here.  Hint:  It has nothing to do with us being "against DIY".