Re: Thinking of installing myself...

One quick caveat about DIY.

Check with your homeowners insurance carrier.

The insurance company I use gives me a 15% discount on my annual rate
for having burg/fire alarm monitored (5% non-monitored) but you have to
provide them with a certificate of installation from the installing
company.  Since most companies (AFAIK) won't simply take your word that
you have a system, ask specifically about how they verify a DIY
installation and make sure you do it the way they want.

The other reason the insurance guys like the professional installation
is that if you drill through a water pipe (or elctrial wire or any of a
hundred other possible mishaps) - they pay to fix it, if I drill through
one (not yet and don't plan on it) - my company's insurance pays to fix it.

As for wireless... Wireless systems and devices these days are pretty
good and I even have two windows in my own home protected by wireless.

That being said, the doors, all the other windows, motions and smokes
are wired because wired is just a whole lot easier in the long run.  I
prefer wired over wireless for many reasons.

The other thing to consider is even with a wireless system (unless it is
one of those self contained "hang on the wall and plug into a phone
jack" types) you still have to run wires for siren, keypads, telephone,
ground and power at the very least.

If you are considering monitoring, are you familiar with how the alarm
panel seizes the line and how that needs to be wired?

Take a trip to Home Depot and check out the 48" and 72" drill bits -
they look easy to handle especiall with that nice "L" shaped tool that
helps you control it... careful in the outside walls or you end up with
all the insulaton in that particular stud space in a nice tight roll
relentlessly holding your expensive new bit tightly in the wall.

I apololgize if I come off sounding like an arrogant bastard (I am not -
really) but I have done takeovers on a few half finished DIY abortions
and those are never good days.

I would reccomend you contact all the companies providing service in
your area.  Get references but more than that, drive around and look for
homes with signs and stickers and stop in and ask them about their
experience with the company they use.

If you are confident in your abilties then go for it - I put gas in my
car and can change tires, belts and even a few hoses... but I let the
pros screw with the brakes - just too damned important.

How important is the safety of your family?

OK - the post wasn't quite as quick as I intended.  Sorry

Joe