Re: False alarms

> > > What do you think about fining the centrals?
> >

> Very nice having an alarm unit at the local PD.

It works well in every area it is implimented.

 What if the customer
> refuses to attend the school?

There is an incentive built in to attend. They attend after their third
alarm and have received a $50 fine. By attending, the $50 fine is waived. If
they don't attend they pay the $50 and the next will be $100.
Another city, here in Florida, will waive fines equal to the cost of
upgrading the system. That is also popular. If someone has $400 in fines
pending, the city will waive those if the custmer spends the $400 to upgrade
their system.

> I believe we have lack of effort/interest here. They like to complain
> but they won't sit down to address the issue.

Those could be the most dangerous type. A quick knee jerk reaction type
policy takes no time or effort on their part. The industry needs to stay in
their face to get them to the table.

> I contacted folks at IQ,

I know you are affiliated with Brinks and they are a big supporter of IQ. In
fact they could be the only supporter. IQ is a very weak Board with very
little support and funding. I am not bashing the intent of the program, but
it is underfunded and is not really going anywhere. Unless things are
changing, Brinks in actually the one keeping it alive.

the NYBFAA

To fragmented to be a real force. They can't agree with each other to get
anything accomplished. They have a reputation of being not a unified group.

>and the RAA.

Who are these folks?

 I was hoping to get
> FARA involved as well.

They are mostly law enforcement folks and work well with the industry but
again have very limited funds. They will make phone calls to areas
supporting a good ordinance program. Norma Beaubien has been a great contact
for the industry, and John Moorehouse, also a FARA board member, is running
a program at his Sheriffs office, here is Florida, that I mentioned has had
a 78% reduction in F/A since he implimented their ordinance. He sits on our
BOD, as the public safety liason, for the AAF as well. He is definiately a
good person to talk with.

>If we have an opportunity to get the government
> to discuss alternatives to fines then we should jump at it.

Enhanced Call Verification is the fastest proven method to reduce dispatches
to date. There is absolutely no cost to the muni, no work on their part,
simply a reduction in request for dispatch. It is the easiest, fastest way
to go for immediately reducing dispatches.

> And our opponents here are the responders. The cops want people to
> believe 99% of all systems false.

Makes you think they may be getting ready for some sort of policy.

 I made it clear to chamber members
> that 99% of all signals are false.
> I said our industry has ultimate control over the signals,

That is where ECV comes into play.

>control over
> the quality of equipment used,

Mandatory CPO1 standards.

>and the extent of training.

School for abusers

> I suggested members contract with licensed, bonded, and insured
> companies that abide by IQ standards of installation. I handed out
> samples of the Installer's & Customer's False Alarm Prevention
> checklist from the NBFAA, and I discussed how the end user is also
> responsible because all they care about is price. I talked about the 7
> day no dispatch policy and how it is extremely affective. I mentioned
> two way voice, and video monitoring.

All recommendations that have been here for some time now. These items
should still be supported as methods of false alarm reduction.

> It appears that some are reading this as me saying 99% of all alarm
> systems are shit. I never said that, and I never would say that.

People hear what they think they hear, not necessarily what is said. You can
correct this by not addressing the senior centers luncheon.

> Maybe they should reread what I said, and then tell me exactly what I
> was wrong about.

They won't remember yesterday, let alone what they read last week.

> And YOU are allowed to skim read. I have a soft spot for old folks and
> know how the eyes play tricks on you. Norm is a MUCH MUCH MUCH younger
> guy than you so he has no excuse. Poor bastard is probably still
> pecking away at the keyboard emailing a hate letter to the paper. NORM!
> Read it again ya friggin hot head. Doesn't it make you laugh when you
> see these kids go off half-cocked, Bob?

Kids!!! Can't teach them anything. And the music they play, my God! And
these are going to be the leaders of our country.

> My point is the police (the people we rely on to respond) only see the
> 99%.
> Let's cut it down to 50% so we can take them to task for slow response
> times.

The 99% will always be there. You, me or the industry cannot improve that.
What you really are referring to and if they are smart, what they really
want (but don't know how to say it) is to reduce the amount of dispatches.
Enhanced Call Verification will do that. Immediately!!

> The more accurate we become the faster they will respond.

I don't believe that for a minute. They (the opponents) do not believe alarm
response is police work.

>Here is what
> I said our industry should do to cut the numbers down.
> I said:
> If the customer doesn't know how to use it we should teach them.
> If it's faulty we should fix it.
> If it's a chronic abuser we should shut them off.
> If we don't do that then slap the fine on me.

You were doing great until the last line.

> Aint I just the big bad boogey man?

Not really, I applaud anyone looking for an answer, addressing the concern,
and being professional enough to put it out there as a possible resolve. It
isn't your fault no one else agrees.

> I appreciate your opinions. You make valid points and welcome your
> response, but if it ever gets out that I was involved in a serious
> thread I'll have to shoot you.

You will have to find me. I'll give you a hint, Frank is my counter guy,
Ejad does my installs, I hang out at Sumo wrestling matches watching Norm,
and get my Kicks and Giggles from RLB.

> > Catch ya on the rebound...<
>
> Is that a comment on my weight? Saying I am shaped like a basketball?
> Mom says I am not fat I am just jolly.

No, she said "Jelly". Clean the crap out of your ears.

> I hope someone whizzes in your senior center lunch.

There goes the seriousness of the thread. That is OK, it was (still is) an
important topic.