False alarms

Last week I was asked to address the local Chamber of Commerce
regarding false alarms.
Here's a brief article on the event.

http://www.mvinquirer.com/chamber_meeting_of_april_6.htm

What I would like to know is if I am alone in believing that if the
alarm company were to be fined we would have a greater control over the
amount of false alarms?
My belief is, as stated in the interview, that we have the ultimate
control over those who are not educated on how their alarm functions,
as well as those who have faulty systems, or are just chronic abusers.
How many fines would we need to get hit with before we say goodbye to
those who abuse their systems? Are we really hooked on that RMR so
badly that we will let the customer go wild?
How many fines would we need to be hit with before we make sure
everything is properly installed, and the customer knows exactly how it
works?
Fining the customer is a ridiculous solution that many cities employ.
Our greatest detractors (the police) would become our biggest advocates
if we could lower the current false alarm rate of 90+% to less than
50%. At the rate we are going now the police will soon adopt no
response policies so we can't really ignore this.
In the end we would garner more business, and have less headaches.
I'd welcome your opinions.