Re: "Magnet tamper" for surface mount contact?

Matt Ion wrote:
> JoeRaisin wrote:
>

>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> The advantage to using the recessed contacts is that they can't see
>>> where the contact is, or even IF it is, so unless they ring the
>>> entire door with magnets, they'll have a hard time defeating it.
>>

>> Actually there is a very simple way of finding a recessed door contact.
>> But trying to defeat it with a magnet could get dicey... get the poles
>> wrong and you may trip it.
>

> The difference is between "seeing" it and "finding" it.  Most wouldn't
> think to search for a hidden contact unless they knew there would be one
> there, as opposed to a regular surface contact that's obvious.  Out of
> sight, out of mind :)

I guess I assume to much...

I would think any crook astute enough to unscrew the magnet and affix it
to the sensor prior to opening the door (especially one who came in
through the ceiling to avoid the alarm), seems to know enough about
alarms to seek out a recessed switch - if he/she knew how...