Re: "Magnet tamper" for surface mount contact?

JoeRaisin wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Using a 3 wire contact (N/O *and* N/C) will make it quite difficult
>>> even for
>>> the "educated" types to figure out what to do. But then there is
>>> still the
>>> problem with the magnet. I suppose if the contact is very close to the
>>> magnet (tight fitting door), you could remove the back cover from the
>>> magnet, glue the magnet to the door, then screw the cover over that.
>>> Then
>>> they unscrew the magnet, tape it to the contact above, but when they
>>> open
>>> the door, the magnet glued to the door would open out with the door.
>>> So they
>>> would just be taping the plastic case to the contact and not the magnet.
>>

>> The advantage to using the recessed contacts is that they can't see
>> where the contact is, or even IF it is, so unless they ring the entire
>> door with magnets, they'll have a hard time defeating it.
>

> Actually there is a very simple way of finding a recessed door contact.
> But trying to defeat it with a magnet could get dicey... get the poles
> wrong and you may trip it.

The difference is between "seeing" it and "finding" it.  Most wouldn't
think to search for a hidden contact unless they knew there would be one
there, as opposed to a regular surface contact that's obvious.  Out of
sight, out of mind :)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
Tested on: 9/29/2005 10:57:15 PM