Re: Intelligent DVR questions

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:46:24 GMT, "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>It uses pixels but you can mask off any area you want to detect motion or
>not detect motion. Then you can adjust the selected areas sensitivity by
>rate of motion or shade. A cat will not generate the same rate of motion or
>shade as a human. The GE guy thought he was slick, on their system they had
>a guy climbing a fence with a freeway in the background. They masked the
>area around the freeway and set a high rate of motion for that area and a
>low rate for the fence so it looked as if it was only detecting the human.
>We adjust for day and night shading by automatically changing the
>sensitivity settings per camera by time of day.

The GE system is one of many intelligent video software packages that
attempts to learn the environment and to make decisions on what is
occuring.  I'm certainly not endorsing that particular product.

However, your product uses the exact same pixel change motion
detection that is found on virtually every decent DVR on the market.
Masking and sensitivity are great features, but they do not work in
many environments.

If you are interested in developing your product to the next level,
you may want to look into how products like ObjectVideo and VistaScape
process video.  AFAIK, there aren't any DVRs on the market currently
that include this type of technology built in to the product.  I know
of at least on in beta from one of the major players in the industry,
though.  The behavior recognition part is just now being applied on a
fairly large scale.  Once perfected, this technology will eliminate
the "meat factor" in making policy decisions.  In other words, guards
will no longer have to make decisions on what is and isn't appropriate
behavior.  For example if someone carries a bag into an airport
terminal, drops it, and moves away from it an alarm will be triggered.
If there is an area where people should be moving through fairly
quickly, and some one is loitering, the system will know and trigger
an alarm.  Vehicles going the wrong direction or to quickly, trucks
where only cars are allowed, planes in no-fly zones, people where
there should be only animals are all possible.

Btw, most of this technology was initially developed through grants
from the federal government for their use, so there is some money and
horsepower behind the technology.