Re: Intelligent DVR questions

Since you have the ADT alarm, have you considered asking them about
the DVR?  They probably install more CCTV than anyone in the country.
You'd want to talk to their engineered systems division.

To answer your questions:

1.  The typical pixel change motion detection built into most DVR's
will be tripped by your cats.  Some DVR's are being introduced in the
near future with intelligent motion detection that can analyze motion
and determine the source.  Until then, the best option may be a
stanalone video analysis system like VideoIQ from GE or ObjectVideo's
VEW.  This, of course, depends on your budget.

2.  DVR cards vs. commercial off-the-shelf DVR's:  The most expensive
part of any DVR is the hard drive space.  You really don't save much
by bying a card and supplying the PC yourself.

3. Embedded OS versus Window:  Check out GE Kalatel's StoreSafe and
DVRMe models and Bosch's Divar 2.  Compare these with the PC based
machines.  Both offer TCP/IP connectivity and free remote client
software.

Look into remote video monitoring services.  ADT offers alarm
verification that ties the security alarm into the CCTV systems so
their operators can view your cameras if you have an alarm.  They can
then determine the threat and provide information to you or police.
With the right system, this is only $180 extra per year.

http://www.objectvideo.com/products/

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/kalatel/videoiq.html