Re: Security System and self monitoring

In my experience, alarmco's won't bother with a local system, or if they do
install, it's at a VERY high price. Unfortunately, the market has been
squewed towards the monthly portion as the major source of revenue
(undoubtably by the proliferation of "free systems"). So without that, most
alarmco's will only install a local system by adding a portion of the
profits they would otherwise make in the monthly costs.

Often, small local contractors just starting out, will install local
systems, both for the money and to increase exposure in the marketplace,
since ultimately it will be referrals that will bring in customers over the
longer term. So unfortunately, those wishing only a local system are left to
fend for themselves. (I will service the 50 or so local systems I personally
installed, but at a fair market price for service. Others I won't touch
unless they want them monitored properly)

I too am "guilty" of this. I just don't want to waste my time and labour on
systems which are IMO crippled in their ability to do a professional job
from the "getgo". Alarm systems are about response, not noise. Without
professional monitoring, you have no response worth speaking of. After 10
years in the business, I truly have come to believe this. However, it can
also be said by the more sceptical, that I am biased and have become lured
by the siren song of RMR ! To that, I also plead guilty !!

But the former reason is the more important one !

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com