Re: Audio Video and power over cat 5

>> How could you possibly know what 'most people in the
>> alarm industry" do or don't do...

Having spent half a lifetime in the industry (more years
installing and servicing alarms than you've been alive judging
from your vernacular), I have significantly more knowledge of
what most installers do than you, my friend.

>> That is a lame over generalization meant to make yourself
>> appear better.

Nope.  It was a specific and accurate statement of the condition
of the industry.  Once you've been around long enough to know
something about it, please come back and share with us.  For now
it's best you sit on the sidelines and lurk.

>> I figured you were 'better than that'.  A better analogy
>> would have been...

Better than you, probably, but my statement wasn't an analogy.

>> most diy's are not good at calculating line loss/load...

Most DIYers don't need to do line loss calculations because most
DIY installations are medium to large residential jobs which
rarely exceed the capacity of standard 22/4 cable.  However, a
fair number of my DIY clients also install commercial fire alarm
systems which require such considerations along with stand-by
battery calculations, etc.

Also, several of my DIY clients who routinely post in a certain
other newsgroup are electrical engineers, etc.  Most of them
could teach you (well ok, maybe not you but others with the
capacity for thought) how to install advanced home automation
systems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass