Re: Audio Video and power over cat 5

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:4330896d.45613929@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:29:23 -0500, Chris W <1qazse4@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know of an inexpensive device that will allow me to run both
> >video and power to my cameras using cat 5 cable?  It would also be nice
> >to have audio on one of the cameras as well.
> >
> >Are these things really all that complicated?  Can't I just wire up the
> >connectors to a cat 5 cable myself?  What would be really nice is a box
> >with 4 RJ45 jacks on one side and 4 audio and video on the other side
> >that would also send power down all 4 lines from one power supply.  That
> >would really make for a clean installation.
>
> I run line level video, audio, power and ground on four conductor
> cat3 wire, so cat5 should also work. Running the wire adjacent to
> ac wires might pick up hum in the audio. Get some wire and just
> try it out.

Line level video (I'll assume you mean analog), audio (Line Level?) Power
and ground on four wires? I'll assume you mean 4 pair? And just how far do
you run this?

I tend to think that many are confused about PoE. It's designed for VERY
short runs. The most 24 awg wire can handle amperage wise is about 1 amp.
Now you can run Ethernet 300 feet. Can anybody tell me how much power, say
12vdc @ 1 amp, will be at the end? Not 12vdc.
Short runs, yes.
Line level audio should be in a shielded cable, or at least by itself.
Here's a good test of what the audio will do. Use an expansion bus wire to
extend your zones to a remote module, in that cable, say a six conductor,
run your power, and data bus loop, and also use the other two pair for your
siren loop. Only, don't use sirens, use a siren driver in the panel, and
some 8 ohm speakers at the end. Enjoy your troubleshooting nightmare. Yummy!