Re: Telephones Out US West Coast?

"Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hJGdnfJ8WuPUg8venZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Mark Leuck wrote:
> > "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
> >>
> >> This morning my NextAlarm service was out for about 6 or 7 hours.
> >> ... Later they came back up with the story that telephone and Internet
> >> service was disrupted on the West Coast and that the outage was beyond
> >> their control.
> >>
> >> ...  the "Internet" cannot be "out" in
> >> any particular region ... [and] ... I cannot find a single mention of a
> >> disruption of telephone service in the US for this morning.
> >
> > Actually it DOES function like that sometimes in fact a week ago a
> > couple of ISP/VOIP providers blocked access to various parts of the
> > net for certain areas of the country due to a billing dispute.
>
> With NextAlarm I don't think this was the case.  The underlying network
> simply re-routes around faulty servers.

Not always, while the internet sends packets all over the net to it's
destination they still can be affected by an outage in a certain area. That
said however it could indeed be NextAlarm.

An example of an internet outage can be found here..

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=82346&WT.svl=news1_1

These 2 companies have been squabbling for a couple of weeks now and that
has caused outages in specific areas

> From what others have said there
> could easily have been a phone outage in NextAlarm's area, but seem to
> suggest that their VoIP and related services were also down for reasons
> beyond their control.  Maybe, but ...

You might want to visit http://www.dslreports.com/

They have countless users having VOIP problems, it's not yet as reliable as
a standard phone line and if it was the VOIP provider that had a problem
it's not NextAlarm's fault.

BTW: By looking at that panel on https://nextalarm.com/index.jsp  it appears
to be a slightly altered Visonic PowerMax which is a standard alarm panel.