Re: Telephones Out US West Coast?

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
>>
>> This morning my NextAlarm service was out for about 6 or 7 hours.
>> ... Later they came back up with the story that telephone and Internet
>> service was disrupted on the West Coast and that the outage was beyond
>> their control.
>>
>> ...  the "Internet" cannot be "out" in
>> any particular region ... [and] ... I cannot find a single mention of a
>> disruption of telephone service in the US for this morning.
>
> Actually it DOES function like that sometimes in fact a week ago a
> couple of ISP/VOIP providers blocked access to various parts of the
> net for certain areas of the country due to a billing dispute.

With NextAlarm I don't think this was the case.  The underlying network
simply re-routes around faulty servers.  From what others have said there
could easily have been a phone outage in NextAlarm's area, but seem to
suggest that their VoIP and related services were also down for reasons
beyond their control.  Maybe, but ...

I am going to try for a fuller explanation from NextAlarm.  I have had the
service since Jan 2005, and have had no issues.  Of course I have also had
no incidents at my home that might have provided a real test.  I am not
quite comfortable with how this particular problem was handled.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat