Re: Compass Software

Amateur monitoring may cost more or less than pro monitoring. It has been
said that one gets what they pay for, but too many times the customer
doesn't get what he pays for. No, I'm not going with some cheap outfit. Yes,
someone will remote program it for $50, but price is not the determining
factor. I merely asked if that was a reasonable price. If someone came back
and said, no, it normally costs $200, then I would suspect the $50 people
probably don't know what they are doing. If it's in the ballpark, then
that's good. If someone quoted me $2, I'd pass it by. The monitoring company
I'll be using appears to be operated by someone who is well respected and
posts regularly in this NG.  If the other pros respect him, then that's a
good sign. I agree, no one ever really knows what they are getting for any
product until they actually get it and have to use it. The proof is in the
pudding, as they say. Yes, one should never assume. However, I am an
engineer who has done extensive programming and I know the policy on all of
my purchased software. I can't believe a pro wouldn't have a backup copy off
site, but I suppose anyone can be sloppy.

Robert