Re: Residential grade door controllers

>>> I want to rent an appartment by the week and I need to conceive a
>>> pretty neat setup to let people in.
>>>
>>> I want to have a keypad on the exterior door connected to an door
>>> access
>>> controller.
>>>
>>> I then hook up a PC to the controller and feed access codes
>>> automatically to it with a program on the computer (probably a linux
>>> box) through a serial RS-232 interface.
>>>
>>> Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found
>>> big solutions for business use (meaning access controllers that handle
>>> holidays, 500 codes and up, etc.) I just need to feed it a couple of
>>> codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list
>>> of codes. I would like also to handle start dates and expiry dates on
>>> certain access codes.

Just one door with no time restrictions is a way to keep this a simple
project.

For simple self-contained systems, check with a company like:

http://www.smarthome.com

I would consider a self-contained unit with everything built into the
handle.  (no electric doorstrike).

You may have a security problem if all that is required is that the
tenants enter a number to access the door.   Workman need access
codes...Managers need codes...Meter readers need codes.  Tenants will
give their codes to outside people and eventually you will not have
any control over who knows the codes.

Better systems, with logging, key fobs or proximity key cards, and
entry time restrictions will cost you more.    Multiple doors on the
same system will cost you more.    Managing the whole thing on a
computer will cost you more.

http://www.vikingelectronics.com

provides intermediate valued systems that do these functions.

For systems with all the bells and whistles, check with a company like
this:

http://www.nokey.com/

Beachcomber