Re: Residential grade door controllers

bdolph wrote:
> Two places to check for low end access products are:
>
> http://www.ieib.com/
> www.vikingelectronics.com
>
> BobbyD
>
> hhcuriosity@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to rent an appartment by the week and I need to conceive a
>> pretty neat setup to let people in.
>>
>> I want to have a keypad on the exterior door connected to an door
>> access
>> controller.
>>
>> I then hook up a PC to the controller and feed access codes
>> automatically to it with a program on the computer (probably a linux
>> box) through a serial RS-232 interface.
>>
>> Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found
>> big solutions for business use (meaning access controllers that handle
>> holidays, 500 codes and up, etc.) I just need to feed it a couple of
>> codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list
>> of codes. I would like also to handle start dates and expiry dates on
>> certain access codes.
>>
>> I found access controllers that cost 200$ US and keypads that cost 300$
>> US + electronic strike that cost 300$US.
>>
>> I once worked with Kantech equipement at a former employer and it did
>> what I want but I remember how all that cost to my boss.
>>
>> Are there residential grade components out there?

If the PC interface isnt a big issue, then use a IEI 212i Set the master
then assign each tenant a code. They do have there HUB system which will
interface with the computer. Keypad cost about 200$ canadian, and a
rutherford 6 series door strike shouldnt be more than 185$.

Kantech makes the KT-100 standalone controller that will do the same
idea with prox cards, but im not sure how much they sell for.