DLS 2002 not "seeing" LCD5500Z keypad

For some strange reason, I cannot get the DLS 2002 SP2 software to see
an LCD5500Z keypad. It sees the keypad in general (in that the "system
graphic" contains a keypad, but it shows it as an LCD5500), but will
not allow programming of the keypad (i.e. all the text labels, etc).
I've tried adding the keypad to the account explicitly, with the
correct version (3.1), but the DLS software always rejects it and
recommends removing it from the account. Even if I force it to leave it
on the account, it won't communicate with it.

The keypad is in partition 1, slot 1. The panel does seem to see the
keypad and the keypad functions properly as far as I can tell. It's as
though the panel doesn't think the keypad is a Z model (LCD5500Z) and
thinks it's a regular fixed message/icon keypad (LCD5500).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions people might have.

Robert