Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> The MA-900 can use DTMF (touch tone) dialing.  However, it may not be able
> to communicate with the central monitoring station anyway.  There have
> been numerous discussions in this newsgroup about alarm system digital
> communicators not working reliably through VoIP services.

Hey...  you're catching on...

> There are some central monitoring services which use a work-around to get
> past the VoIP service.  Check with NextAlarm for starters.
>
> Side note:  Some of the other posters here have a bit of an axe to grind
> concerning companies like NextAlarm due to the extremely competitive rates
> they charge.  Take any diatribes with a crystal of sodium chloride.  :^)

Next Alarm is nothing more than an online Alarm Dealer.  They're not a CS
and never will be.  Read their FAQ!!  Oh....  I forgot... You don't read
well...

I particlarily like how they'll "take over" an alarm system that's been
"locked out" with their own stand-alone dialler.  They basically give a
"scum-bag" non-paying customer the means to "switch" their monitoring from
the guy that sold them their service and to whom they still may owe a
contractual obligation.  Robert would (of course) utilize a service like
this because it "fits" into marketing mantra perfectly.

>> I tried calling the alarm company and getting
>> someone on the phone who knows what they
>> are talking about is difficult.
>
> That is not surprising.  VoIP is a relatively new communications medium.
> Many alarm companies maight not have had much exposure to it yet.

You missed the most important point...  The customer's alarm equipment is
unable to communicate through VOIP.  A lot of alarm panels aren't able to
either...

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> If you can't get the matter resolved short of returning to POTS telephone
> service, give me a call during the day and I'll put you in touch with
> someone who can help.

Uh-huh...  sure...