Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

>I have a Magnum Alert 900 system in my house and
> just switched to Voice-Over-IP....  Can this system
> be switched to touch tone dialing and if so how?

The MA-900 can use DTMF (touch tone) dialing.  However, it may not be able
to communicate with the central monitoring station anyway.  There have been
numerous discussions in this newsgroup about alarm system digital
communicators not working reliably through VoIP services.

There are some central monitoring services which use a work-around to get
past the VoIP service.  Check with NextAlarm for starters.

Side note:  Some of the other posters here have a bit of an axe to grind
concerning companies like NextAlarm due to the extremely competitive rates
they charge.  Take any diatribes with a crystal of sodium chloride.  :^)

> I tried calling the alarm company and getting
> someone on the phone who knows what they
> are talking about is difficult.

That is not surprising.  VoIP is a relatively new communications medium.
Many alarm companies maight not have had much exposure to it yet.

> Any help would be appreciated.

If you can't get the matter resolved short of returning to POTS telephone
service, give me a call during the day and I'll put you in touch with
someone who can help.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass