Datalogger to Test False Alarms on Sensor

We have a motion sensor that is giving false alarms every few months.   We
are going to replace it, but I wanted to see if we could leave the original
one in a location near its original location, and then put a datalogger on
it that would record time of day for any triggers on the unit.   We would
then download the data from that every few months and check for triggers at
times of day when there should be no motion in the area.

If the replacement unit also starts to false trigger, and we see triggers on
the original unit with the data logger, then I'll know it might be an animal
or some real motion in the vicinity of the two alarms.   If the replacement
unit triggers and the original does not, then I'll look for a short in the
wiring, connectors, etc.   If the original sensor triggers and the
replacement unit does not, then we have a bad unit.

Does anyone make a data logger like what I am describing here that has
software that would work for this application?

--
Will