Re: LCD Etching

"Frank Olson" <Please-use-the-email-links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:emt5f.227604$oW2.63793@xxxxxxxxxxx

> "Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >I did a video job a couple years ago where the customer insisted on
buying
> > their own LCD flat screen monitors.  I don't recall what brand they
used,
> > but they stared to suffer from etching almost immediately.  When I was
> > looking into that I was told almost all LCD monitors will etch fairly
> > quickly when used in that type of application.  Usually within days and
> > with
> > some within hours the bright text will start to etch.
> >
> > I have a little ten inch Sharp LCD I have had for many years that I use
> > for
> > a test monitor and occasionally for part of a loaner system when I have
> > send a monitor off for repairs.  It has always had a great picture and
has
> > never shown any signs of etching even when operated on a fixed quad
system
> > for over six months.
> >
> > I have a customer who wants me to loop out and install a flat screen for
> > one
> > of their cameras.  Naturally I thought of Sharp.
> >
> > As I flip through my TV catalog I notice that Sharp seems to have two
> > lines.
> > One is just Sharp and the other is Sharp Aquos.  Anybody have any recent
> > experience with either of these for fixed view CCTV applications
regarding
> > etching or lack thereof?
>

> I've sold dozens of LCD monitors and never encountered "etching"...  What
> the heck is it (what does it look like)??

I had never experienced it before that job, but its pretty bizarre.  Since I
didn't supply the monitors I wasn't too worried about it.  Basically there
are artifacts left on the screen.  The worst is where you get the bright
imaging from the on screen text.

When I looked into it I had two different LCD mfgs (probably relabelers)
tell me it was common for that type application.

I have only a handful of sites with LCD monitors (all Sharp) and I had never
encountered it before, but I like to do jobs, take the money, and not have
to do any service on them or have to make excuses for poor performance.  I
figured before supplying a flat screen for this customer I would ask around
again.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com