Re: X10 Eagle-Eye Motion Detection through Glass?

X10Hack wrote:
> yes, I am controlling Track-lites, via X10-outlet in our store-front
> window.
> Attempting to scare away spooks at night and put better lite on em for
> camera .
>
> Really no good place to put motion detector "outside" window.  (over
> hang is low, spooks would just destroy detector if outside....)
>
> We had a smash n grab a couple weeks ago , 1st in 11 yrs.
>
> Any ideas, apprecieated ...
>
> thx

I'd suggest that you get rid of the X10 motion detector and try to
purchase a Sentrol AR435 motion detector. This detector is a dual
technology motion detector (Passive infrared and microwave). You can
choose to use the microwave sensor only. You can also adjust the range
that the unit will detect motion in increments from 9 feet to 18 feet,
to 27 feet or a maximum of 35 feet. It will project through glass with
a slight reduction in range. If you wanted to conceal the unit from
view from the outside, you could mount it behind a thin piece of paper
or cardboard and disable the small LED's. You could still use X10
signaling by attaching the relay in the AR435 to an X10 powerflash
interface. The problem that you have to overcome is that the motion
detectors contacts only close momentarily, so the lights would only
stay on for a few seconds. So..... you will have to have the AR435,
activate a time delay relay, which will, in turn, activate the X10
powerflash module, keeping the light on for a few minutes. With this
configuration, once the motion detector was activated by movement, even
though the contacts closed momentarily, the time delay would begin,
trip the powerflash module and the powerflash module would stay actived
for the duration of the time you had set on the delay module. If there
was continuous movement, the light would stay on until after the
movement had stopped plus the time you had set on the time delay module
had expired. Altronix makes a delay module that would work. You'd also
need a 12 volt power source to power all of these devices, which
Altronix also mfg's.

So, if you, feel you're up to hooking up this kind of a circuit, let me
know. I'll have to look up the part numbers for the Altronix items. You
can probably get it all on the internet, somewhere.

Now you can see the reason for the reluctance here for answering your
question. Taint as simple as it first appears.