Brinks security system is dead

I came back after evacuating beucase of hurracan Rita and turn on all
the switches back on, but I forgot to turn the switch from the attic
where the adapter of the alarm system is plugged in. Everything was
working fine.

I saw a message on the keypad saying something about the AC power. I
didn't pay too much attention to it. Later that day I tried to set the
alarm on and it was completely dead. I went to the main switch and I
turn it on. No luck. I turned everything off and on again, from the
main switch, with the same results.

I called Brinks, disconnected the phone line, battery and adapter. Same
thing. I changed the battery from a previous alarm system, still dead.
I made sure that the power plate had power.

I noticed that when I connect the negative cable in the battery, there
are some sparks coming out.

Any ideas of what is the problem? Brink will come within a month and
mabe it will take a couple of hours, so the can charge me 60+ bucks.

Thx