Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> ...VoIP will not work reliably enough to ever
>> be counted on for security purposes...
>
> Don't be too sure, Robert.  You can be fairly certain that alarm
> manufacturers are working on this already.  The telecommunications
> universe is evolving faster than many other fields.  Alarm manufacturers
> have two choices: develope VoIP compatible communicators or become
> obsolete.

I don't think "alarm manufacturers" are all that anxious to jump on the VOIP
bandwagon.  There isn't a cable company out there that can guarantee 100%
"uptime", and until they do, the service is subject to interruption from
power failure, modem failure, "service upgrades" and other irregularities.
There are some alarm panels that will interface with VOIP already, but even
they are subject to to the problems I've already outlined.  A POTS line is
still far more secure.  A POTS line backed up to a cellular communicator is
even better.

>> I'd be very suspicious of any company that
>> says they can do it reliably, or suggest "it
>> is not problem for us"...
>
> There are workarounds though they sound a bit less secure than a
> conventional line.

>> ADT just issued a memo to all their dealers
>> telling them to stay far away from it. TCPIP however, is quite another
>> thing, and with the
>> advent of products like the generic Lobenn
>> (and others of it's ilk...DSC's version etc),
>> all should be well.
>
> I'll be experimenting with several systems over VoIP service shortly.  I'm
> changing my company's phone system into a "virtual office" space.  We'll
> have a single number to dial and an auto-attendant to distribute calls
> between employees in three US states plus one office in Brazil.  The new
> system will allow us to instantaneously transfer a caller between stations
> anywhere in the world.

...  and further reducing already shoddy service levels.

You have your priorities all screwed up (as usual).  You should do more
toward taking care of the numerous complaints filed against you at the BBB.

>> VoIP ? Forget it ! Keep your landline or use
>> a reliable alternate (cell, alarmnet, or TCPIP)
>
> It appears that VoIP is not quite ready for prime time when it comes to
> alarm system digital communicators.  However, I expect we'll be seeing
> improvements in that area soon enough.  Meanwhile, if your VoIP service
> includes a second port which is optimized for analog fax service you might
> want to try sending alarm signals over that line.  I plan to test that
> shortly using DSC, Elk and Napco panels I have on hand and will let you
> know if it works.

Ah, yes...  The infamous Elk panel you have set up for your "office".  Did
you order a M1XEP for it yet??