Re: Ever done this?

No, but I would have liked to have seen it

You could try something like this http://www.garvinindustries.com/pdf/19.pdf
but when I've come across a stubborn knockout I've normally been able to use
channellocks by  tilting them at an angle so one side of the jaws is on the
back plate and the other on the edge of the knockout and then use a lever
action to raise the edge of the knockout, but in your case the lever action
could have broken the plastic fitting. The only time I have ever seen
plastic fittings on sprinkler systems has been in residential applications.

Doug L