Re: Warning To Those Considering A Home Security Alarm System

It would be libel, not slander. And I see no diff. between a website or a
newsgroup both are viewable...both can create the same kind of damage.

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Well, I really doubt that anyone could ever get sued by anything they say
on
| a newsgroup. It's probably the only place where you can say exactly what
you
| want, true or not, and not face any consequences. If something were ever
| said that got someones lawyers flapping their gums, it would only be an
| empty threat. However, in those cases, that is often enough to stop the
| slander.
|
| A website now, that's a different thing, since that is the printed word,
| accessible to everyone.
|
| RHC

| > no vendetta...he just wants to get sued.
| >

| > "R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Whoa ! What the devil are all these postings about ADT ?  It's obvious
| > you
| > | have some sort of vendetta against ADT ? I never thought I'd ever see
| > the
| > | day when I ended up actually defending them, but this stuff is CRAP.
| > Your
| > | horror stories may or may not be true, but to continually lay out
| > example
| > | after example like this doesn't indicate to any thinking person that
| > this
| > is
| > | how they handle things on a general basis. With millions of customers,
| > I'm
| > | sure it's easy to find horror stories, but honestly, there are
probably
| > | millions of other examples where things worked exactly as they should.
| > |
| > | Your horror stories tell the ng more about your hate for them than
| > anything
| > | else. Knock it off ! Your credibility is gone my friend....don't waste
| > | bandwidth....
| > |
| > | RHC
| > |
| > |
| > | "Sonicduck" <jones1019@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | ADT Security Systems
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ADT Security
| > | · Sales practices
| > | · Service
| > | · Military clause
| > | ADT is by far the largest home security alarm service in the U.S. and
| > | also does a big business in providing service to business and
| > | government. ADT works with independent re-sellers and it also has
| > | partnerships with Sears and other retailers.
| > |
| > | It's important to note that you're buying two things when you get a
| > | home alarm system -- the equipment and the "service," which basically
| > | consists of monitoring your system and responding in whatever manner
| > | you agree to when alarms are received. Note that you must provide a
| > | working telephone line.
| > |
| > | Like cell phones, security services will offer all kinds of deals,
| > | including "free" equipment and, sometimes, "free" installation. Of
| > | course, it isn't really free. The cost is simply built into the
| > | contract you sign, which usually runs two years or more. Like any
| > | contract, the ADT contract means what it says -- and only what it
says.
| > | Nothing your salesman tells you means anything. Verbal promises are
| > | meaningless.
| > |
| > | Therefore, read the contract fully before you sign it. Understand what
| > | you're getting into -- a multi-year contract that obligates you to pay
| > | whether the system works or not, whether your phone line works or not,
| > | whether you have a job or not.
| > |
| > | Sure, there might be a few cases where you could get out of the
| > | contract but it's a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Read it
| > | thoroughly. If you don't understand it, don't sign it until you find a
| > | disinterested third party, preferably a lawyer or paralegal, who can
| > | read it and explain it to you. Otherwise, you'll end up like the
| > | complainants whose tales appear in this section.
| > |
| > | Don't believe us? Check out the complaint below ...
| > |
| > | Patricia of Tracy, CA (10/20/05)
| > | We signed a contract with ADT in 1998 for a term of three years. The
| > | account was in my husband's name and his signature is on this
contract.
| > | When I called ADT to cancel our services in June of this year, I was
| > | told that my husband had to cancel because it was his account. My
| > | husband called later in the week and was told that the company
required
| > | a 30-day notice for cancellations. Since we had already sent our
| > | payment for the quarterly statement, the rep told my husband that we
| > | were going to be pro rated on our refund.
| > |
| > | Several weeks later we received a statement telling us that we owed
| > | $331.22 for the balance of the contract. We were expecting a refund,
| > | not a balance. We were very surprised to receive a copy of a second
| > | contract made out in my husband's name but showing my name in the
| > | signature. When I questioned the rep about the discrepancy in this
| > | "new" contract she didn't have an explanation.
| > |
| > | Damages: ADT constantly calls and wants to collect this money that we
| > | feel that we do not owe them. They send a statement every month trying
| > | to collect from us. We feel this will affect our credit report that we
| > | value very much.
| > |
| > |
| > |