Re: Devcon Buys Out Coastal Security, Adelphia, & Guardian

Many a truth is said in jest. I've seen feuds flare up over
nothing in here and I'd regret us taking that route so I like
to soften my stance with humour. But I really can see you on
that horse.

I would like to be making more money, Bob and if I could,
I'd charge more. I charge what I think the market will bear. It's
pretty much a given you could charge more, I can't.
Hence the jibes. I can't sit here and
listen to you jump all over the "free" systems when you provide
"free" service. To me, free service and cheap monitoring over
a 10 year period is a very similar business model.

And yes, my attrition is horrible... I've had units in for less than 2
months!

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Ok, I get it now, but sometimes your humour is "oblique" to say the
> least...:))
>
> BTW, while we're talking about your not agreeing with my business
approach,
> how about you tell me how you handle your Medical Alert business. You
> install leased equipment, so it costs you perhaps a couple of hundred
> dollars to install it, then you lease the pendant for $40 a month. What
> happens when the old doll croaks after six months ? Do you sue the estate
> for the balance of your contract, or take compassion on the family, and
just
> go out and remove the hardware ? So six months, you make....6 times $40
less
> your cost of installation AND removal leaving you exactly ...what ? And
how
> do you handle the Elizabeth Frye societies of the world who give the same
> service for free ???
>
> So I spend (for example) $500 worth of equipment AND labour in one day and
> walk out with $1000. Say, the client leaves after 6 months (which probably
> happens less often than a aged client of yours dies), and I have only made
> an additional $54 of profit on those same six months. So I walk away with
> $554....Who's kidding who ?
>
> Now I realize this pricing example may be taking things out of context a
> bit, Your clients don't die all that often, and my clients don't leave me
> that often....again, no flame intended, so things would level out over
time.
> However, don't throw stones while you live in a glass house.
>
> But I would be curious how our business approaches differ that much.
Neither