Re: Commercial Alarm - help

news:1130780889.806046.185950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Jackcsg wrote:
> >
> > I can understand that way of thinking when your options are limited. I'm
not
> > bashing you here Jim, but there are options, and many scenarios to every
> > install.
>
> And I'm not bashing you or Sloud either, (about the technology) you,
> doing commercial have the opportunity to cash in on a much bigger
> source of cash from your clients. OF COURSE you're going to see the
> cutting edge of securtiy. That's simply the way it goes. You'll be in
> the forefront of technology. Then it will be the high end resi clients,
> then the middle class and finally, a number of years from now, it will
> be provided to the masses. The trickle down of technology, always works
> that way. Corporations are always more willing to take the chance with
> new technology and have the cash to do so. Are you right in saying that
> the technology is available to the trade? Sure you are! Are you right
> is saying that it should be taken advantage of? Sure you are! Can you
> site me an example of any trade that INSN"T in that mode? Of course
> not. That's exactly what the definition of the word "progress" means.
> Would it be nice if everyone could stand in a line like little soldiers
> and do exactly what is right, yeah, maybe in Utopia, but that's not the
> way it works. You can soap box about it all you want. You can be right,
> all you want. But it aint gonna happen, and it's not a consicous
> decision by anyone to NOT make things better, it's just the normal
> process that technology takes. Will it get better? Sure it will. Will
> there be some things that people will look back on and say .....
> Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda? Sure there will. What's new?
>
> That's just the way it is. The one thing you ARE wrong about thou is
> that there's a 99% rate of false alarms. I my opinion you're just using
> that figure to promote your rant about everyone not using the latests
> technology. You know that that my be the figure that the politicos use
> but you know damn well that using that logic you have to say that 99%
> of people have accidents. Haven't you forgotten about all the people
> that haven't had accidents?
>

> >You know that as well as anyone. The problem is, as one
> > professional to the other; let's just say we're in the future here, and
> > verification is in effect. What are the options? What are the options,
not
> > based on what you know, but what's available, today, right now? I'm not
> > being a smart ass either, and there is no wrong answer.
>
> I know whats available but I also know that I wouldn't survive in my
> area trying to sell it against my competition in the market I work in.
> When it becomes an issue, I'll do what has to be done. Just like
> everyone else, I'm not going to be stupid enough to insist on selling
> new technology against competition that isn't, just because it's
> available, to the detriment of the survival of my business.

> [...]

Thanks Jim. That's a pretty fair analogy. I just think a system should work
properly, and I'm not saying all, many or even most don't. But I also
understand the environment, and have for years. I see and know the
potential, but again, understand the environment.

In 2003, I received a report (secretly) from a major metropolitain police
department that covered over 10,000 false alarms from a six month span, that
covered 3 of the cities six districts.
Curiously, I put together a letter targeting the worst offenders. All
businesses. I sent 1,000 letters discusing the issues, and encouraging
owners of alarms to better understand the circular effects that these alarms
have had, and continue to have on their community. I wasn't selling
anything.
While I was hopeful that some people actually cared, I fully anticipated a
low response. Then once again I get educated on the environment...no
response. I still move forward.

My problem (personality wise, and other than using improper spelling of the
English grammer) is that I tend to always question the non-thinker, when I
have questions. It sometimes comes off as "my way is right", and yours
wrong, I get the twenty thousand years plus experience...speach, or I get
the .... no response (lately). You probably didn't retire from the Navy, nor
did I, so I know you can relate to that environment. It's not that I'm
confrontational, or live to challenge authority, I just (again personality
wise) have a strong desire to want to reach a collaborative discussion. Most
personalities, IMO, don't often allow for that. The counter to that, I
believe, is trust. We both know that process....