Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

"Leor Amikam" <amikaml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I'm going to ditch ADT this month.  What are they going to do when I call
> and cancel my contract?
> I've had the system for 8 years.  Is an ADT service tech going to show up
> at
> my door the next day, and ask to come remove my equipment?  What if I
> refuse
> to let them in the house?  Will they sue me?

They may send you a final bill that includes the rest of the monitoring
period covered by the automatically renewing contract- most contracts
automatically renew for 1 year at the end of the contract period, unless you
give them 30 days notice. Whether you pay it or not is up to you. I wouldn't
pay for service that I hadn't received, but that's me. Give them their
cancellation letter via certified mail- make sure you SIGN it using your
proper signature and reference your address and account number.

I seriously doubt they will come get their equipment. Even so, in your
letter, let them know that they have 2 weeks (some places may have a shorter
or longer notification requirement, but 2 wks should suffice) to come get
their equipment. Mention that you expect them to be extremely careful around
your priceless antiques. The chances that they will come get 8 yr old
equipment is very slim.

Yes, if they come to remove the equipment, and you don't provide access to
tehm, they have legal grounds to sue, BUT, for what? The remaining value of
8 yr old depreciated equipment? I doubt it's worth much after they've been
depreciating it for 8 yrs. It certainly wouldn't be cost-effective to sue
over it.

A word of advice- don't hire a National company- you will be over paying for
monitoring and service. Hire a local company with a good reputation and
loyal customers. Make sure they have (or contract with) a UL Listed Central
Station. Make sure they don't have any salespeople named "sonic duck". Check
the BBB website in your area.