Re: Veritas 8C - needs a complete reset.

Sir, there are several reasons why it is done, some legitimate, some not so
!

If your alarm was originally installed under one of these "free system"
arrangements, or was in some manner not fully paid for at the front end, the
alarmco still owns the panel and has every right to lock the board against
physical theft. However, once fully paid for, it should have been unlocked
(I myself have lost one board due to theft early on in my installation
stage)

ALL companies change the installer code to protect proprietary information
and other information that affects how and where the panel dials upon alarms
or troubles being generated. But if the board is not locked, it too goes
back to factory default settings along with everything else when the board
is defaulted. But if the panel is locked, usually either nothing happens, or
(like DSC) everything BUT the installer code goes back, making the panel
even useless for local mode use.

There are however a sizeable minority of alarmco's that lock a board simply
to keep the homeowner from changing monitoring suppliers without making the
new company go to the extra expense of changing out the board. This is the
use of the lockout feature that is purely vindictive and punitive, and has
no ethical validity.

If you wish further detail, see the following page:

www3.sympatico.ca/rh.campbell/installer_lockout.htm

RHC

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html