Re: Anyone use Honeywell 7845 AlarmNet Cellular backup?

Total nerd wrote:
> I already have the Napco panel detect a phone line failure and I
> suppose I could purchase a 3008 relay board too, but then which device
> could I use as a cellular backup dialer?

Use the CZ version. It has multiple zone inputs.

>I was hoping such a device
> could simply be used in place of a dial tone, and everything else acted
> the same, but I'm learning that's not entirely possible.  All these
> companies have their own proprietary cell networks with monthly fees
> associated with them, etc. etc.

Yep, that's capitalism for ya.

> It almost looks as though I would use
> the cell dialer IN PLACE of my home phone dialer.

The idea is to have a "backup". If one fails you have the other method
to use to get your signals out. There's no reason to believe that the
cellular
or other device that you use, wouldn't ever fail. Telephone lines can
be
tampered with, cellular or radio can go out of service. Does your cell
phone
work 100% of the time?