Re: Question for group on Pull stations?

"Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "Andrew Buchanan" <drewber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> You also use the aux. contact on the pull stations by the doors with mag
>> locks (if any) to provide a local release.  The locks are supposed to
>> drop
>> as soon as the fire alarm trips, however like its been mentioned if you
> need
>> to evacuate before the fire alarm is set off by another device or the
> system
>> fail somehow and the emerg dr is maged, you could be toast.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> IMO that's a bad idea, and most AHJ's would not approve a maglock going
> through an auxiliary set of contacts on a pull station labeled for "Fire".
> Any fire device activation needs to release magnetic locks, not just a
> fire
> pull station. The general public wouldn't understand such a release
> method.
> It's always best to have a separate pull station labeled for "Emergency
> Door
> Release", which under any circumstances, including electronic failure,
> would
> release the door.

I understand what your saying.  However, in Toronto, the inspectors look for
the local release, and when the fire guys (which I'm not one of) put in the
pull stations for us they leave a 2nd wire off of the pull station aux.
contact for us to tie our mag pwr through.  Maybe my wording wasn't the
best, but one contact on the pull station triggers the fire alarm (which
should drop all the building mags anyways) and the 2nd conatct locally cuts
the pwr directly to the mag the pull station is beside.  This elimates any
type of delay or system failure as the door can be opened right away as the
mag has no pwr.  A pull station somewhere else in the building without a mag
door beside it would not need to have this done.