Re: EOLR Depate

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:42:52 GMT, "David Knutsen"
<Oldtimer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>All connections where moisture could pose a problem should be (and in my
>case are) stripped, twisted, soldered, gel filled connector crimped, and
>heat shrink covered. The end of line resistor is at the end of line and is
>included in the sealed package. This prevents any problems with moisture and
>if you need to replace the switch in the future, the same method will be
>used. If you are running multiple switches on one zone, all switches are
>daisy chained and tied into the positive leg of the circuit, the end of line
>resistor is installed on the last device in that circuit.

-Agreed. However, does normal installtion constitute such measures?
Most of the door contacts are in (or bordering) climate controlled
environments (door frames, etc).I twist, crimp, and tape, but don't
solder or heat shrink for the most part. Now outside, or in an outdoor
box, yes.

>"Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> It seems though that the negligence here
>>> really has little to do with the EOLR, but
>>> more that the technician did not insure
>>> the rest of the detection circuit was
>>> functioning properly...
>>
>> This story is like most disasters.  Rather than one major mistake there
>> apparently were a series of small errors.  One thing led to the next.

But, if the EOLR was in the proper place, the circuit would not have
cleared to begin with, and the service call wouldn't have ended with
the screens bypassed.

Did anything get solved? Putting EOLR's in the panel is easier (the
sloppy stuff usually is, and I've done it to I'm sad to say), but it
can be a huge liability. I saw part of the discussion regarding
dispatching PD or sending a trouble on the trouble. One of the panels
we use (DMP) allows you to set what happens on an open or short if the
panel is armed or disarmed. I program trouble when disarmed, alarm
when armed. I know Radionics (now Honeywell) and DS (also now
Honeywell<g>) had similar programming. Ademco (ALSO now Honeywell)
doesn't get that detailed though.