Re: EOLR Depate

> Let me get this striaght.  On a recessed
> contact drilled down into the crawl
> space after you pulled the wire and
> installed the contact you would crawl
> back under the house to all the holes
> where wire hole was drilled into crawl
> from above and seal the holes from
> below to slow moisture from wicking
> up?

Not quite.  On existing structures we would do pretty much what other techs
do -- install water tight recessed contacts.  On new construction we were
required to seal wire entry holes at the tops and bottoms of wall spaces to
slow the spread of fire.

> Wow you were a good installer.

I always tried to do it right.  :^)

>> I mainly used recessed contacts for residential
>> which was always the major portion of our
>> work.  Properly fitted moisture doesn't get past
>> them.  I wonder why our experiences are so
>> different.
>
> I don't think you are understanding what I am
> saying.  Sealing the contact has nothing to do
> with moisture wicking 'up' form the crawl space
> below...

Understood.  That's where our experiences have been so different.  I've
never had that happen and I wonder why you did.  Different climate perhaps?
Most of my work was in southern New England -- Connecticut mainly.

>As a matter of fact it would tend to trap
> the moisture coming from below.

That's just it.  I've yet to see cases where moisture rose up inside the
walls from below.  Most plumbers and electricians don't seal wire entry
holes.  If moisture was wicking up into walls I would expect that the
insulation would be soaked, rendering it useless after a rainy season.  Yet
this doesn't seem to happen, at least not anywhere I've worked.

> were it moisture from rain then sealing
> the contact would stop that but that is
> not what I am refering to.

I hear you, but I have not seen this happen.  Any thoughts as to why your
area may have been different?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass