Re: Glass Break Detectors

> What is the general consensus on glass break
> detectors? Do they work well enough to rely
> on them as a primary perimeter security device?
> Or are motion dectors a better bet?

There really isn't any general consensus.  Some dealers consider glass
breaks a standard part of most installations.  Others believe they are not
reliable.  Most models false occasionally, especially during heavy
thunderstorms.  Poor quality models false whenever there's noise in the
adjoinging county.  I've tried a number of brands over the years and have
had good results with a few.  IntelliSense makes a series they call
"FlexCore" (used to be "FlexGuard").  I sell a hundred or more of their
FG1625 series every month and rarely have problems with them.  I used to
install the earlier FG1525 series and they worked very well for me.

Like most things, the key with glass breaks is to install them in places
where they are least likely to cause problems.  Avoid using them in small,
enclosed spaces which tend to amplify the effects of external noises.  Some
models have adjustable sensitivity.  Set them so that they will just barely
trip when you activate the manufacturer's tester.

You should be aware of certain limitations of glass break detectors.  For
one thing, they won't usually respond to a window being pried open.  Thy're
obviously useless in detecting a break-in if the window is left unlocked.
Also, a detector that worked well during installation may not respond if you
change the environment significantly.  Heavy drapes, deep carpet and soft
furniture can all affect the performance of glass breaks.  Given these
limitations you may wish to back up glass breaks with a few well placed
motion detectors.

In short, glass breaks are a useful tool but they should not be the only
means of detection in most applications.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics