Re: Home Alarm and Vonage

"Mike" <mskaeser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1119163299.376731.196550@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I recently switched to Vonage and for awhile my home alarm system could
> not dial the monitoring station to check in, when I lost my local phone
> service.  I recently isolated the home phone lines and can use them as
> before with multiple phones, but the home alarm still cannot call out.
> I've read a few ideas as to a solution :
>
> 1) Re-program the alam to append a '#' at the end of the number it
> calls.  Assuming I can reprogram it at all.
> 2) Some complicated rewiring to directly connect the Vonage router to
> the phone lines.
> 3) Ask my monitoring company to try to fix it, for a heft price.
> 4) Drop the monitoring
>
> Anyone had success ?

In my opinion, the internet is for entertainment, so is the
cable company..........
Life Safety Assurance is required by the FCC for the
Local Bell Operating Companies, not cable companies, etc.
In an emergency, utility company phone service is restored
to Police and Fire  Departments, and Hospitals First,
then on an descending priority, the city hall, county buildings, etc.
Third priority are businesses, then forth residential service.
You'll notice that DSL, VOIP and all those "premium"
services were not mentioned. Neither were any of the
"entertainment" features of the cable company, etc.

Use the cable and VOIP as entertainment...not life safety.....

BTW....A child died in Orlando recently, allegedly because
when the child was choking, the parents could not get
through to the Police on VOIP...I'm not sure who the carrier was.
The VOIP carrier's statement was that the call went through and was
active for over 10 minutes. The parents went to a neighbors
house to call 911.....it was too late.

Just some information for your entertainment........

Norm Mugford