Re: sensor choice for "gong detect"? & invisible light switches

dunno abt the bell thing...maybe if  you analyized the frequencies =
generated by that particular bell you might be able to build something. =
Sounds like a big project though.=20

density sensor...try hollowing out the back of the dry gypsum material =
so that you just have the front paper left and hot glue your sensor in =
from behind. you may be able to get the front paper sheet thin enough =
where it will work.

"Tracker" <trackgoogle@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
| Hello, all.  Long time no read etc.
|=20
| Anybody ever *actually done* a sensor on a heavy bell?  (It's a
| large-size "Mission Bell" by Tom Torrens, if you care...  To be used =
as
| a doorbell, well, actually as a button replacement for a DSC door =
box.)
|  Specifically triggered by the resonating from the gong itself, no
| stuff like mallet switchhooks or motion sensor on the swinging =
mount...
|  I thought about an old-style glass break, but getting the frequency
| right would be a trick.
|=20
| Also does anybody know if commercially cheap density sensors can be
| used to determine if a finger is placed on the other side of =
sheetrock?
|  I'm gonna go do some experiments, so don't shoot me for asking first.
| But if someone has *already* done it, please let me know.  Why did =
this
| come up?  Well, I was looking at a Leviton "Acenti" ad the other day,
| and thought, "Why on earth does anybody want a larger, more prominent
| light switch?!"  Remember the Pass&Seymour/Legrand ones?  Ugly. as.
| sin.  Anyway, shouting "lights" at some comput er is silly, and motion
| sensors don't have the positive control (or on-location dimming)
| needed.  Again, don't flame me about greasy spots on the wall, or
| repairability of buried switches -- just, *if* you've done it, pretty
| please tell me what you learned.
|=20