Re: Dog Door Security - Please Help

Frank Olson wrote:
> Check to see what's on the *inside* of the wall you're thinking of mounting
> your Optex VX-402R.  Is there another hard-wired PIR in the vicinity??  How
> about an electrical outlet??  You mentioned that you had no power where you
> were thinking of mounting the sensor.  Have another "look-see" and determine
> whether-or-not you can obtain the coverage you need if you moved it closer
> to an adjacent interior device or outlet.  Don't limit your "vision" to just
> the lower floor either.  If there's something on the second floor you can
> exploit, go for it.
>
> Personally, I would secure your pet door for the evening (and contact it so
> that when you arm your system, you're arming the door).  IMO that would be
> better than using a motion detector which will pick up all sorts of
> extraneous movement (like bushes and trees blowing in the wind, other
> animals, or even people).  Keep the protection *on the door* and you'll have
> far less headaches (and probably sleep better too).
>
> The alternative is to simply contact the pet door using your 5816 and have
> it beep, chime, or turn on the lights (instead of the motion detector).  I
> guarantee that you'll opt to secure the door after a few "incidents" and you
> won't be out the price of the Optex unit if you decide to "scrap" that idea.

I just realized that contacting the door is out anyhow because during
the winter months the wind can really pick up and blow the door flap
open and shut.

I just read the description of the Optex outdoor motion sensor.  It
seems like it might have reasonable immunity to trees in the wind.  It
emits one beam horizontally and another down toward the ground...  A
person of normal height who passes by will break both beams and set it
off, however a dog will only break the lower beam and not set it off.
It seems unlikely that my trees and bushes are going to be breaking
both beams.  However I guess if plants low to the ground are swaying
and trees higher up are also swaying, that could do it.

Hmm.