Re: Dog Door Security - Please Help

<briansgooglegroupemail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1120947941.509377.84540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Robert L. Bass wrote:
>

>> It depends on how much trouble you're willing to go through to make it
>> work.
>> One fellow I know of rigged a solenoid lock, controlled by a prox reader
>> keep the door closed.  He attached a prox tag to his dog's collar.  When
>> the
>> dog is within a few inches of the door it releases.  When the dog is
>> elsewhere the door remains secured.  IIRC this gentleman's problem was
>> not
>> burglars but other neighborhood pets.
>
> Right, these types of doors are designed to keep unwanted animals, not
> people, out.
>

>> There are other things you can do which cost less but are not as secure.
>> One method is to rig up a pet resistant motion detector outside the dog
>> door.  When a human enters the area it can trip a sounder, turn on a
>> light
>> or whatever.
>>

> I'm looking at the Optex VX-402R which can work with a 5816 to tie into
> my Ademco panel.  At least this will be some added peace of mind.

Check to see what's on the *inside* of the wall you're thinking of mounting
your Optex VX-402R.  Is there another hard-wired PIR in the vicinity??  How
about an electrical outlet??  You mentioned that you had no power where you
were thinking of mounting the sensor.  Have another "look-see" and determine
whether-or-not you can obtain the coverage you need if you moved it closer
to an adjacent interior device or outlet.  Don't limit your "vision" to just
the lower floor either.  If there's something on the second floor you can
exploit, go for it.

Personally, I would secure your pet door for the evening (and contact it so
that when you arm your system, you're arming the door).  IMO that would be
better than using a motion detector which will pick up all sorts of
extraneous movement (like bushes and trees blowing in the wind, other
animals, or even people).  Keep the protection *on the door* and you'll have
far less headaches (and probably sleep better too).

The alternative is to simply contact the pet door using your 5816 and have
it beep, chime, or turn on the lights (instead of the motion detector).  I
guarantee that you'll opt to secure the door after a few "incidents" and you
won't be out the price of the Optex unit if you decide to "scrap" that idea.