Re: Dog Door Security - Please Help

> I have a dog door that medium sized adult can squeeze through.  Well
> the other night a medium sized adult tried to squeeze through it.  I
> woke up before the person was in the house and turned all the lights
> on.  By that time they had already jumped the fence.  In any event,
> this makes me very nervous.
>
> The dog door is in a small laundry room which has a pet immune motion
> detector in it.  The motion detector did not go off because the person
> had not yet stood up.  I don't think they had fully entered the room.
> In any event, what besides a motion detector can I do to secure this?
> Frankly, I am considering boarding it up and living without the dog
> door.  But other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on how much trouble you're willing to go through to make it work.
One fellow I know of rigged a solenoid lock, controlled by a prox reader to
keep the door closed.  He attached a prox tag to his dog's collar.  When the
dog is within a few inches of the door it releases.  When the dog is
elsewhere the door remains secured.  IIRC this gentleman's problem was not
burglars but other neighborhood pets.

There are other things you can do which cost less but are not as secure.
One method is to rig up a pet resistant motion detector outside the dog
door.  When a human enters the area it can trip a sounder, turn on a light
or whatever.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass