Re: What smokes should I use? Not sentrol, right?

>> A word on UL Compatibility from an 'old timer'
>>
>> Lets set the record straight Robert, legally speaking, you
>> can not hang a 2-wire smoke detector off a panel unless it is UL
>> Listed for that panel.  If you are wiring somebody else's house, I
>> would definitely look into the UL Compatibility listings before
>> connecting any 2-wire smoke detector.  4-wire smoke
>> detectors or "contact devices" don't need to be UL Compatible.
>>
>> If you are wiring your own house, this may or may not be an issue.
>> However, should there be a fire and your detectors do not respond,
>> you'll have 'no leg to stand on' in court.
>
> I thought that according to NFPA the 2 wire smokes had to be "listed" by
> the 'manufacturer' of the panel for use with the panel.  This basically
> means that the smokes have been tested by the 'manufacturer' and
> certified to work with their panel.

The previous poster is partially correct.  Before using a 2-wire
smoke with any panel, make certain that the detector is UL listed
for use with that panel.  The panel manufacturer OR the smoke
detector manufacturer may list the detector and either is
acceptable.

As to the "no leg to stand on" comment, I assume the poster was
referring to insurance coverage since the context referred to DIY
installations.  That's an oft-repeated fallacy here in ASA.
Unless there is a specific clause requiring a UL *certificated*
system, the insurance coverage remains intact.  Insurance
companies cannot decline to pay based on an error in the
installation of one's alarm.  OTOH, if one of the "professional"
installers makes a mistake the insurance company can go after his
company in subrogatiuon.  They'll still pay the hjomeowner first,
but then they will sue the pants off the alarm company.  That's
why alarm companies need to have strictly worded limitation of
liability and indemnification clauses in their contracts.
Without the legal protection they'd lose their shirts every time
they srew up an installation or take an hour or more to respond
to a real alarm.

Hope this helps clarify the matter.

--

Regards,